Dolphin Cove - A3 - a five minute drive west of the centre of Ocho Rios
Tel: 1 876 705 2272
Dolphin Cove offers you the experience of a lifetime - the chance to swim with bottlenose dolphins!
Various programs are offered which feature different levels of interaction with the dolphins, from touching the dolphins as they swim past your feet to being dragged through the lagoon, holding on to their fins.
If you do not wish to interact with the dolphins, there is still plenty to do at Dolphin Cove as the entrance fee includes a range of other activities such as swimming with stingrays and min-boat rides. The dolphins live in a lagoon which is separated from the sea by a man-made barrier, however, it is said that the barrier is completely submerged during high tide, leaving the dolphins free to swim away should they choose to.
The dolphins originate from Mexico and were transported to Jamaica, along with their trainers. Over the years, the Mexican trainers have worked alongside the Jamaican team to rear and train the animals.
There are four dolphin experience programmes available, these are:-
The touch encounter. This is the least interactive of the four programmes. Under the touch encounter, visitors stand in knee deep water and stroke dolphins as they swim past and kiss them as they rise out of the water to meet you.
The Encounter Swim. This programme offers the next level of interaction, taking place in deep water and offering visitors the chance to dance with and be dragged by a dolphin as well as touching and kissing.
The "Swim with" program. This offers everything from the "Encounter Swim" programme as well as dorsal pull and a foot push.
Sea Keeper programme. For the ultimate interactive dolphin experience try the Sea Keeper programme where you can spend the day working with the dolphin trainers. Assist in all aspects of dolphin care including preparation of food, feeding and training. The Sea Keeper programme also covers the training of sharks and stingrays.
Included in the entrance fee to Dolphin Cove is a shark show. You can also purchase a ticket to participate in the show, giving you the chance to hold and feed the sharks (under expert supervision).
Another highlight of Dolphin cove is the stingray lagoon. Visitors can snorkel in a lagoon filled with large Caribbean stingrays (with their barbs removed)! An introductory show is also held at the lagoon to educate visitors about these graceful creatures.
Other attractionsThere are many other attractions at Dolphin Cove besides dolphins, sharks and stingrays, you should allow a full day at Dolphin Cove to fully enjoy all of the attractions on offer, including:-
- A jungle walk - with several enclosures of tropical animals such as iguanas and parrots.
- Glass bottom kayaks - paddle a tandem kayak over the Caribbean Sea whilst watching the crystal clear water rush by underneath you.
- Mini boats - enjoy the blue Caribbean at breakneck speed from a speedboat.
- Little Port Royal - A recreation of the olden city of Port Royal, complete with pirates!
- Beach - take time out to swim or just relax on the white sand beach.
- Video Shop - look back on videos and photos of your day at Dolphin Cove.
Food and DrinkThere is no need to go hungry or thirsty as several choices are available for food and drink including:-
- A beach grill - offering an authentic Jamaican buffet lunch
- Star Buccaneers - A coffee shop serving Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee
- Bar - A fully licensed bar serving a full range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
Know before you go
- Leave watches and jewelry at home as you are not allowed to wear this whilst swimming with the dolphins and lockers are not available.
- Do not wear sunscreen until after you have swum with the dolphins as this can burn their eyes.
- Bring a towel as these are not available to borrow or hire.
- Children under six are free with paying adults.
- It is necessary to make reservations to participate in the dolphin programmes.
- You must be at the lagoon at least half an hour before your programme is due to start.
- Age restrictions apply to some programmes - check before you book.
- Dolphin Cove is wheelchair friendly.